BARCC offers groups and workshops for survivors and people who are close to them. All groups and workshops are free. If you are interested in submitting a request for group counseling, you may fill out a request online or call the office at 617-492-8306. You can request groups on an ongoing basis throughout the year; groups generally run in the spring and fall. Some groups require an in-person intake; some have age restrictions.
Healing from Sexual Trauma Phase 1
- Members: adult survivors age 18 and older
- Group types: for women; for men; and gender-inclusive for all survivors, including women, men, transgender, and nonbinary survivors of sexual violence
- Number of sessions: 8–10
- Format: psychoeducation, using weekly worksheets
- Requirement: intake as well as prior and current individual counseling (can be provided by BARCC) about the sexual trauma
This group provides its members with a forum to discuss the impact of sexual violence on their lives and their relationships. It also explores useful ways to cope with common challenges faced by all survivors of sexual violence. Topics of weekly worksheets include sexual violence and responses to sexual violence, safety, coping, self-care, guilt/shame/self-blame, trust, anger, relationships and disclosure, body image, and taking meaning from your experience.
Healing from Sexual Trauma Phase 2
- Members: adult survivors age 18 and older
- Group types: for women and men survivors
- Number of sessions: 8–12
- Format: processing using various self-reflective exercises
- Requirement: prior and current individual counseling (can be provided by BARCC) about the sexual trauma and Phase 1 group
In this group, we ask members to share a bit more about themselves, their past, and their hopes for the future. This group's goal is helping members understand the context surrounding their trauma experience, create connection within themselves, and recognize new possibilities for their lives. This group will provide a supportive environment for members to directly address their trauma experiences and foster a more holistic, unified sense of self. Topics include paths to healing, identifying context, reconnecting to self, sharing self, grief and loss, caring for self, and life beyond trauma.
Partner, Family, and Friends Group
- Members: adult significant others, age 18 and older, including intimate partners, family, and friends of survivors
- Number of sessions: 6 or 7
- Format: support group
- Requirement: intake, participants must be non-offenders
This group provides a safe and supportive space for partners, friends, loved ones, and family (parents, siblings, children of survivors who are 18 or over, extended family, etc.) of survivors of sexual violence. The group focuses on understanding the impacts of sexual trauma on the survivor, on themselves as significant others, and their relationships with the survivor. It also provides useful ways to cope with common challenges faced by significant others and helpful ways to provide support to survivors.
This group will meet seven times, on Tuesdays from 6:15 to 7:45 p.m., starting on September 25, 2018. Participants must schedule an intake by September 10, 2018, and can do so by calling 617-649-1262.
Sanando del trauma (Healing from Trauma)
- Members: Spanish-speaking women who are survivors of sexual violence
- Number of sessions: 3 or more
- Format: support group or workshops
- Requirement: individual therapy
Este grupo de apoyo brinda un espacio seguro para mujeres adultas hispanohablantes quienes son sobrevivientes de violencia sexual para hablar del impacto del trauma. Los miembros del grupo son mujeres adultas que han experimentado distinto tipos de violencia sexual como abuso sexual, violación, acoso sexual, abuso sexual infantil e incesto. El enfoque de este grupo es como el trauma es afectado por la cultura Latina. Temas de las sesiones incluyen: violencia sexual y el impacto, herramientas para aliviar síntomas del trauma, autocuidado, lidiando con sentimientos de pena, dificultades con confianza, autoestima, y como hacer sentido de su experiencia.
This support group provides adult Spanish speaking women survivors of sexual violence a safe space to address the impact of the trauma. The focus of this group is how the trauma is affected by the Latin@ culture. Topics for the weekly sessions include: understanding sexual violence and its impact; coping skills for symptoms of trauma; self-care; dealing with feelings of shame, self-blame, difficulty trusting, body image, and self-esteem; and taking meaning from their experience.
- Members: adult survivors 18 and older
- Number of sessions: TBD
- Format: workshop sometimes facilitated by provider outside of BARCC with expertise in topic
- Group Requirement: interest in group topic
Workshops for those affected by sexual violence to understand the importance of self-care and the ease in which it can be integrated into someone’s life. The workshops are open to all adult survivors. Past workshop topics have included yoga, zumba, mindfulness, cooking, music, and art.