The following is excerpted from a call to action by our executive director, Gina Scaramella. Please do take a moment to make a call!
Sexual assault and domestic violence services face significant budget cuts unless the U.S. Senate takes action soon! We need your help with one more round of calls and emails to make sure that local programs can meet the needs of sexual assault and domestic violence survivors in their communities.
Please take a minute to contact Senator Scott Brown and urge him to vote to stop the filibuster that is holding up $600 million that will come to Massachusetts to fund these services among other crucial items.
Senator Scott Brown
Phone: (202) 224-4543
Not sure what to say? Here are some talking points:
* Introduce yourself and say where you live (you will probably be speaking with one of his staff).
* Ask that Scott Brown support HR 4213.
* Tell him that you know that Massachusetts needs the federal dollars from the FMAP Relief Fund for many reasons, including for funding that supports child, teen, and adult survivors of sexual violence.
* Rape Crisis Centers are already facing a cut of 25%; additional cuts are likely to cause center closings and a severe decrease in available services for victims of crime.
* Encourage the person you speak with to visit the BARCC website to learn more about the critical services that will be drastically cut.
* State that victims of sexual violence are some of the Commonwealth’s most vulnerable citizens and need expert coordinated, effective, cost-efficient services that have been demonstrated by the programs funded through these line items.
* Thank them for listening and for encouraging Senator Brown to support HR 4213.
Thank you so much for your help. Every call shows that Massachusetts’s rape crisis centers have your support and makes future threats to funding less likely.